IRTBA will be a leader in establishing and implementing sensible, sustainable, and innovative practices. Our 2019 environmental goal successes include:
- IRTBA’s Sustainability Council held their 11th Annual Meeting, featuring a review of innovative company practices by the 2018 Sustainability Champion Award winner, Christopher B. Burke Engineering. The event featured education tracks on Clean Construction Demolition Debris (CCDD), a CAM-AM Panel, including sub-committee chairs for HMA, Pavement Preservation and PCC, and presentations by IDOT & Tollway on Agency Innovations & Visions for the Future.
- IRTBA participated in a Clean-Fill Coalition this year, which is a clearinghouse and leader on all Clean Construction & Demolition Debris matters. The coalition filed an amici brief in Illinois’ Supreme Court case regarding CCDD and the coalition prevailed in the case.
- Informed members about “One Federal Decision” guidance for states making National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) reviews on transportation projects and the collaborative effort to reduce unnecessary project delays.
- Kept industry up to date on the Joint Committee on Administrative Rules (JCAR) reports proposed IEPA Amendments to Air Pollution Control Permit Program and comment period.
- Promoted member participation in the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency’s (IEPA) proposed amendments to Public Participation in the Air Pollution Control Permit Program (35 IAC 252; 43 Ill Reg 7028) concerning public hearings, comments, and other measures related to Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) permits for new, or significantly modified, air pollution sources in non-attainment areas that have not met federal Clean Air Act standards.
- For the first time ever, IRTBA issued hard copy and digital certificates to help Sustainability Council members market their environmental stewardship and membership to the Sustainability Council. Several members capitalized on the free marketing opportunity and posted their certificates and the benefits of SC membership on their website home pages and social media channels.
- Members toured 2019 Sustainability Champion Award winner, Christopher B. Burke Engineering Ltd., in Rosemont to check out their sustainability initiatives – including their parking lot garden!