IRTBA will play an active role in addressing diversity within the industry. The following Diversity goals were accomplished in 2018:
- Advertised dozens of Disadvantaged Business Enterprise events – including WISDOT’s 32nd Annual DBE Workshop & Awards Lunch; an SBA’s Surety Bond Guarantee Program webinar; statewide IDOT Contractor & DBE Conference (TCTR); IDOT’s Downstate Summit for Success: Growing IDOT’s DBEs; IDOT Region One’s Summit for Success; SBA’s Small Business Regulatory Fairness Roundtable; Governors’ State University’s Diverse Business Fair entitled, Every Connection Counts; and the UIC Diversity Construction Summit.
- Cooperated with the Illinois Tollway in designing and launching the Partnering for Growth program.
- Provided input on the Tollway’s Community Hiring Initiative and Earned Credit Program.
- Informed members of the Illinois Tollway’s pilot test of their new Diversity Management Software system, which included training on tracking contract and EEO/workforce compliance to meet Diversity goals, payments to prime and subcontractors/consultants, and workforce performance on construction contracts.
- Encouraged business owners to participate in the interview process for the Chicago Transit Authority’s (CTA) Disparity Study for its Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) programs to ensure that DBEs and minority- and women-owned businesses (D/M/WBEs) have equal access to the agency's contracting opportunities and that current programs remain legally defensible and administratively successful.
- Promoted a number of Tollway Small Business Set-Aside projects via the Friday Facts eNewsletter (circulation 2,000), including grading and landscaping improvements, LED lighting retrofits, ITS preservation, system-wide fencing, site improvements, bridge deck sealing, demolition, system-wide oases curb repair, M-14 maintenance yard improvements, landscaping services, lighting upgrades, LED Retrofits, fencing and site improvements, and ramp queue detection installation.
- Advertised the Illinois Tollway’s request for proposals (RFP) to provide compliance consulting and related services to the Department of Diversity and Strategic Development.
- Publicized training sessions for all construction, professional services, and goods and services firms to prepare for implementation of the Tollway's new diversity compliance software, B2GNow.
- Endorsed member participation and nomination for ARTBA’s Women Leaders in Transportation Design and Construction Awards.